The Medication Aide-Certified program is available to current certified nursing assistants who have worked at least 2,000 hours in the past 24 months in a long-term care facility. Under the direction of a registered nurse, students will learn to safely administer routine medications to residents in a long-term care facility followed by careful monitoring and precise documentation. Students in this program are introduced to and will understand basic pharmacology. Expand your CNA career and/or take the next step towards a nursing career.
Graduates of the Medication Aide program are introduced to and will learn to understand basic pharmacology, expand their CNA career, and/or take the next step towards a nursing career.
Students will gain knowledge of the following:
- Describe the seven rights of medication administration and their application to safe medication administration
- Administer medications accurately, safely, and document appropriately
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of purpose, actions, and side effects of medications
- Demonstrate basic understanding of therapeutic communication
Program Length: 100 Hours (60 hours didactic (classroom) training and 40 hours practical training.)
Tuition and Fees: Tuition – $200, Fees – $160, Books and Supplies – $146.25
- High school diploma or equivalent
- TABE testing at 11th grade level in Math, Reading, Spelling, and Language
- Current Utah CNA Certification; is in good standing and has worked 2000 hours in the past 24 months in a long-term care facility
- Current cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certification
- 18 years old or older
Enrollment: Open-entry, Open-exit
Open to: Adults and Secondary students
Campus: Roosevelt and Vernal
A Chrome book is offered in some programs. If one is not available, the student can use the UBTech Computer Lab or bring their own internet capable device for educational use in class.
Electronic Student Resources:
Canvas orientation course contains electronic learning resources that can be used throughout your time in the program. Each canvas course links to these resources, and they will be updated regularly.
Canvas can be accessed from any internet-connected computer at the following URL: https://ubtech.instructure.com/login.
For technical problems encountered while in Canvas, use the Help button in Canvas and the “Report a Problem” link. Response time on support requests will be no more than 24-hours within the operational schedule of the program. A general orientation to Canvas can be found in the New Student Orientation, but faculty will also offer an orientation specific to technology in your program on your first day of class.
$9.83 – $15.47hourly
Local Utah hourly wages are estimated by careeronestop.org