The Practical Nursing Program combines basic skills with scientific principles and nursing theory. Learning is organized according to body systems ranging from simple to complex, with each concept building upon another. Students practice both the theory and application of principles learned, first in a simulated lab situation and then in care facilities under the supervision of faculty members. Students of Practical Nursing learn to recognize their strengths and abilities while remaining within the scope of their practice. Graduates are prepared to function in a structured healthcare environment under the direction of a registered nurse, physician, or another primary healthcare provider as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN). More than 90 percent of graduates in recent years have found steady employment in the nursing field. As of June 3rd, 2021, Best Value Schools recognizes UBTech’s Practical Nursing program as the top LPN program in the state of Utah.
Practical Nursing applications are available at the UBTech campus or may be mailed to the applicant. Applications may be completed and submitted to the UBTech Practical Nursing Department.
Fall/August 2021 application period is March 1st, 2021, to May 31st, 2021.
Spring/March 2022 application period is September 1st, 2021, to November 30th, 2021.
Before applying, applicants must complete the pre-requisites, meet with a Student Success counselor and successfully complete the entrance exam.
Proof of completion by official transcript sent from the issuing school must be submitted with the application. In addition, course descriptions must be included with transcripts for courses taken at schools other than USU.
A point system is used to facilitate candidate selection. Points are awarded based on criteria listed in the PN Application.
Licensed Practical Nurses are prepared to work under the supervision of a Registered Nurse or physician in hospitals, doctor’s offices, care centers, home health care settings, and rehabilitation facilities.
- Fall/August 2021 application period is March 1st, 2021, to May 31st, 2021.
- Spring/March 2022 application period is September 1st, 2021 to November 30th, 2021.
Tuition and Fees:
- Tuition – $1800
- Fees – $960
- Books – $2011.00
- Supplies – $352.50
This program is designed to be completed in 34 weeks
- High school diploma or equivalent
- TABE Testing at 12th-grade level in Math, Reading, Spelling, and Language
- Pass Drug Screen and Background Check
- PAX Exam Score of 101 or higher
- Grade of “B-” or higher in Anatomy, Physiology, and Lifespan Development (Pre-Requisites)
- Current CNA, MA, EMT, or at the discretion of the director
- Structured; Not open-entry, open-exit
- A Chrome book is offered in some programs. If one is not available, the student can use the UBTech Computer Lab or bring their own internet-capable device for educational use in class.
Electronic Student Resources:
- Canvas orientation course contains electronic learning resources that can be used throughout your time in the program. Each canvas course links to these resources, and they will be updated regularly.
Canvas can be accessed from any internet-connected computer at the following URL: https://ubtech.instructure.com/login.
For technical problems encountered while in Canvas, use the Help button in Canvas and the “Report a Problem” link. Response time on support requests will be no more than 24-hours within the operational schedule of the program. A general orientation to Canvas can be found in the New Student Orientation, but faculty will also offer an orientation specific to technology in your program on your first day of class.
Local Utah hourly wages are estimated by careeronestop.org
The Practical Nurse program at Uintah Basin Technical College is accredited through the ACEN, Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc. Information regarding accreditation can be obtained at:
ACEN, Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc
3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 500
Atlanta, GA 30326
COE Student Outcomes for Academic Year 2020
- Completion: 96%
- Placement: 100%
- Licensure: 96%
ACEN Student Outcomes for Academic Year 2020
- Licensure examination pass rate for all first-time test takers: 96%
- Program completion rate: 96%
- Progression rate to ADN Program, 29%