The primary function of a Surgical Technologist is to fulfill the first scrub role and help with the preparation of the operation room by setting up sterile surgical equipment, checking equipment for proper functionality, and assisting the surgeon with instruments and supplies while maintaining the sterile field. Students in the Surgical Technologist Program will learn the skills necessary to be a valued member of the allied health team of professionals who work in the surgical suite delivering direct patient care. Careers in surgical technology are fast-paced and interesting, and students will be qualified to seek employment in this high-demand industry.
Surgical Technologists are prepared to seek employment in a surgical suite delivering direct patient care. They can work in hospitals and specialized surgical clinics.
Average completion time: 64 weeks
Tuition and Fees:
- Tuition – $2350
- Fees – $1325
- Books and Supplies – $1260
- M-Th| 8am-4pm
- Spring/March 2022 application period is September 1st, 2021 to November 30th, 2021
Externship hours and locations may vary.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Math 12.0 grade level
- Spelling 12.0 grade level
- Reading 12.0 grade level
- Language 12.0 grade level
- Pass Random Drug Screen
- Pass Background Check
Students in their senior year of high school who are on track to graduate may enroll in the program if they will be 18 years of age before externship.
Upon completion of the program, students must pass the NBSTSA Exam to certify as a Surgical Technologist. NBSTSA requires an Associate Degree to test.
Upon completion of the program, students can transfer UBTech’s Surgical Technologist Certificate for 30 credits towards an AAS Degree in General Technology with USU-Uintah Basin. Click here to learn more.
- High school seniors (with high school counselor recommendation)
- Federal Financial Aid: No
- VA Qualified: No
- To prepare competent entry-level surgical technologists in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains.
- A Chrome book is offered in some programs. If one is not available, the student can use the UBTech Computer Lab or bring their own internet-capable device for educational use in class.
Electronic Student Resources:
- Canvas orientation course contains electronic learning resources that can be used throughout your time in the program. Each canvas course links to these resources, and they will be updated regularly.
- Canvas can be accessed from any internet-connected computer at the following URL: https://ubtech.instructure.com/login.
For technical problems encountered while in Canvas, use the Help button in Canvas and the “Report a Problem” link. Response time on support requests will be no more than 24-hours within the operational schedule of the program. A general orientation to Canvas can be found in the New Student Orientation, but faculty will also offer an orientation specific to technology in your program on your first day of class.
Local Utah hourly wages are estimated by careeronestop.org