On The Cutting Edge
A surgical technician is an allied health professional working as a member of the operating room (OR) team. Surgical technicians are also referred to as surgical technologists, surg techs, or scrubs. Their duties include preparing the surgical suite for surgery, assisting the surgeon before and during the surgical procedure, and mastering the principles of asepsis. Careers in surgery are fast-paced and in high demand across the Nation. Surgical Technicians are qualified to seek careers at hospitals, surgical centers, private clinics, dental clinics, representative companies, and in central processing.
Tuition and Fees:
- Tuition – $1800
- Fees – $1265
- Books and Supplies – $529.59
- M-Th| 8am-4pm
- Spring/March 2022 application period is September 1st, 2021 to December 22nd, 2021
Externship hours and locations may vary.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Math 12.0 grade level
- Spelling 12.0 grade level
- Reading 12.0 grade level
- Language 12.0 grade level
- Pass Random Drug Screen
- Pass Background Check
- Proof of immunizations.
- Recieve a physical exam.
Students in their senior year of high school who are on track to graduate may enroll in the program if they will be 18 years of age before externship.
Upon completion of the program, students must pass the NCCT (National Center for Competency Testing) Exam to certify as a Surgical Technician.
Upon completion of the program, students can transfer UBTech’s Surgical Technician Certificate for 30 credits towards an AAS Degree in General Technology with USU-Uintah Basin. Click here to learn more.
- Act Score of 19 = GLE 12th
- Act Score of 18 = GLE 11th
- High school seniors (with high school counselor recommendation)
- Federal Financial Aid: Yes
- VA Qualified: Yes
- To prepare competent entry-level surgical technicians in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains.
- A Chrome book is offered in some programs. If one is not available, the student can use the UBTech Computer Lab or bring their own internet-capable device for educational use in class.
Electronic Student Resources:
- Canvas orientation course contains electronic learning resources that can be used throughout your time in the program. Each canvas course links to these resources, and they will be updated regularly.
- Canvas can be accessed from any internet-connected computer at the following URL: https://ubtech.instructure.com/login.
For technical problems encountered while in Canvas, use the Help button in Canvas and the “Report a Problem” link. Response time on support requests will be no more than 24-hours within the operational schedule of the program. A general orientation to Canvas can be found in the New Student Orientation, but faculty will also offer an orientation specific to technology in your program on your first day of class.
Local Utah hourly wages are estimated by careeronestop.org